Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Tuesday, March 31, 2020


Mr. Sassman's 4th Grade Class Blog

Weller Elementary School




But really...



From my family to yours, we hope you are doing well!

Happy Tuesday! I thought our first Zoom meeting went well on Monday. As you know, I will be hosting Zoom meetings on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We will go from 9:30 to 10:00ish.

It worked well having the whole class in on it, so we will continue with that format. In addition, splitting up in 3 smaller groups is not possible with the district's requirements. As I mentioned before, we can always adjust as time goes.

It would be extremely helpful if you could sit in on the sessions (if you are able), so you have a firm grasp on what we are trying to accomplish. The goals here are to correspond, answer any questions and point you (and your child) in the right direction for curriculum materials, lessons, and project ideas. We will be covering reading, writing, and math primarily. It will be up to you (and your child) to determine how much you want to get done with the materials, sites, and lessons I provide. I have been instructed by the district, that kids are not to receive grades at this time, so please do not feel pressure to meet deadlines or for the work to be perfect. This is meant to be engaging and educational, and not to add more stress to an already precarious situation.

Our Google Classroom is up and running. I realize that many of you (and your kids) may have a lot of questions or have run into some issues. Please know that this is a learning process for us all and I will do my best to help and find solutions.

One thing I am adding is "Virtual Office Hours." While we will meet as a class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I am going to host online Zoom meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 to 10:30. I will host an open session that you will be able to join, to ask questions or get help if you need it. I will send out a separate email with a link that will stay the same for those meetings, so you don't have to go to a new session (Meeting ID) every time. In the meantime, please keep emailing me with any questions or concerns you may have.

Lastly for now, if you need to check out a Chromebook (if you need one), please email me and I will make the arrangements for you to pick one up. As of now, the district has said only one per household, if you have multiple kiddos. Thanks.


Here are the links you need for our online learning
BLOG (as you know it here has been changed to): www.wellerwhalesblog.org
WEB SITE (the old blog address will now the class web site): www.wellerwhales.org
*****Please keep in mind when you visit the new web site, that it is still very much a work in progress and there will be ongoing updates throughout the week and after.*****

Till' next time...tomorrow's Zoom!

It's a good life!

Mr. Sassman