Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Mr. Sassman's 4th Grade Class Blog

PowerPoint Presentations continue this week!
I am...
I am the unique nautilus resting on the sea floor.
I wonder what creatures await me in the colorful reef above.
I hear the water ripple as I slip through the ocean.
I see the bright splotch of the moon shining in the sky.
I want the concealment of the night to last forever.
I am the unique nautilus resting on the sea floor.

I fear the strong beak of the octopus cracking my hard shell.
I feel the scent of prey brushing my tentacles.
I touch the rough coral claiming my arrival.
I cry out as a predator senses my hidden form.
I am the unique nautilus resting on the sea floor.

I understand the complex ocean currents.
I say nothing, letting the blanket of silence fall over me.
I dream  of the seas wide and cool.
I try to locate my prey in the dark waters.
I hope my hunt will prove safe.
I am the unique nautilus resting on the lonely sea floor.

(We will be working on "I am" poems this week and next!)


If you have: 
  • Half-gallon milk cartons, please send them in with your kids (preferably cleaned out:) We will be using them next week for some engineering activities and lessons!
  • During our Twin Bears Camping Trip, we will tentatively be having a Recycled Goods Art Gallery and Fashion Show, so please save your recycled goods for us! It should be fun and educational!
TWIN BEARS - UPDATE
Mrs. Hammer and I are full into the planning process and we will be hosting a parent information meeting on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 from 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM. We will go over logistics, agenda, packing lists, student checklists, check the status of parent volunteers, and answer any questions at this time. PLEASE BE THERE!

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE DATES TO REMEMBER SECTION! THERE HAS BEEN SOME ADDITIONAL TRIPS ADDED! 

More budget news:
  • There is a Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly Meeting on Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM at the Borough Assembly Hall, downtown. This is an opportunity for public testimony to the board for our local funding contributions. As of now, there are a lot of cuts and we need additional local funding to keep our class sizes down. This will affect you and your children! I will be there to testify and I hope you are too!
MONDAY looks like:
9 - 9:20
New Jobs
New Seats
Class Meeting
9:20 - 11:00
Social Studies: Regions of the United States (The Midwest)
Spelling Quiz (postponed from last week by popular demand :)
Biography PowerPoint Presentations
Counselors
11:00 - 11:35
Library
11:35 - 12:00
Read Aloud - Tale of Despereaux (Final few chapters)
Next Up - Where the Red Fern Grows
12:00 - 12:30
Lunch
12:30 - 1:00
Recess
1:05 - 2:15
Math Block
2:15 - 2:30
Recess Part II
2:30 - 3:30
Human Growth and Development (Boys with Mr. Abe/Girls with Nurse Marth and Mrs. Bartusch)

HOMEWORK HOMEROOM
Friday, April 24, 2015
-- Expository Essay Final Draft (in-class)*
-- PenPal Letters Final Draft (in-class)*

MATH HOMEWORK DUE THIS WEEK (only if you are in my math class)
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
-- Practice Sheet 14-8/14-9

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
-- Practice Sheet 14-10/14-11

Thursday, April 23, 2105
-- Topic 14 Review Packet 1

Friday, April 24, 2015
-- Topic 14 Review Packet 2 (TOPIC 14 MATH TEST ON FRIDAY)

*Please keep in mind, projects or tests we have in class may have to be brought home to be finished or to study. Please ask your child if they have completed their work before you have signed their planner. 

Dates to Remember:
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 DEPART AT 9:15 AM - Still need parent volunteers
UAF Museum of the North - Art Expedition

Wednesday, Aril 29, 2015
TWIN BEARS PARENT MEETING IN THE COMMONS FROM 5:30 - 6:30 PM 

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 - DEPART AT 9:30 AM - Still need parent volunteers

Trip to the Fairbanks Courthouse - Mock Trial with Alaska Superior Court Judge Kauvar
Trip to Morris Thompson Cultural Center - picnic lunch downtown

Monday, May 11, 2015 - Still need parent volunteers
Field Trip to Birch Hill - Picnic and outdoor activities

Monday, May 18, 2015 - Still need parent volunteers
Arctic Bowl and Pioneer Park Field Trip

Thursday, May 14, 2015 - Saturday, May 16, 2015 - Still need parent volunteers

Twin Bears Camp - Details to follow

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - Thursday, May 21, 2015
Early dismissal at 2:00 PM

Thursday, May 21, 2015
Last Day of School May 21, 2105 - Field day in the AM
Cookout and picnic at 1:00 PM

If you are interested in volunteering on a field trip, you must be cleared with the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District (it's a very simple process)...see me for a packet. If you would like to simply help out in class or volunteer, just let me know, and we can arrange it so!

It's a good life!

Mr. Sassman